Ears?
โดย Amanda Gibney - Sunday, 6 August 2006, 11:24PM
  I've noticed that ears on puppies in Thaialnd seem to come up at a very young age.  The US born litter it's taken a very long time for the boys ears to become fully erect.

Parsely still has one rather droopy ear.
Parsely

Rush's didn't come fully up until 7 months, in the picture below he was 4 months old and they were very down and floppy.
Rush

The boy in Canada, Curry, took about as long as Rush to get his ears up.  Thai-ger had his up by 5 months.  The 3 girls were all up by 3-4 months.

Just wondering if it was common for some lines to have ears come up later.  I didn't tape any ears, but did suppliment Rush with some calcium to help strenghten his ear cartilage.

Amanda
Kyrie Siberians & Thai Bangkaew
Re: Ears?
โดย Amanda Gibney - Monday, 7 August 2006, 12:31AM
  Didn't come through on my first post, picture of Parsley:
Parsley

Amanda
ตอบ: Re: Ears?
โดย Pingpong \(-_-)/ - Wednesday, 9 August 2006, 05:20AM

There are many questions asking about their dog with the same droopy ear problem as in http://www.bangkaew.com/elearning/mod/forum/search.php?id=1&search=%CB%D9%E4%C1%E8%B5%D1%E9%A7 .

Usaully, ears should stand up within 2-3 months, some dogs may take more time.

Dotcom 1 month

Dotcom 1 month 2 weeks

Dotcom 1 month  3 weeks

Re: ตอบ: Re: Ears?
โดย Amanda Gibney - Wednesday, 9 August 2006, 09:43AM
  Thanks, I was wondering if other had the same issue.  We see it here in Akitas, German Shepards and Malamutes sometimes.  If they're ears aren't up by 6 months they tape them to help strengthen the ear cartilage. Article here:
http://www.leerburg.com/tapingears.htm

Since droopy ears is a fault in Bangkaew I didn't want to go to extreme measures to get their ears up.  I didn't want a line of dogs that had to have their ears taped.  My litter ended up with fairly small ears, but they have much thicker ear leather than their parents or the other Bangkaew I brought back from Thailand.

Amanda
ตอบ: Re: ตอบ: Re: Ears?
โดย carnivore ...The Alpha Wolf - Wednesday, 9 August 2006, 01:21PM

Hello Amanda ..... I have German Shepherds for nearly 20 yrs now and I'd never taped my puppies' ears . I never had  this ears problem no matter how big or thick of the ears. I totally agree with you that...I didn't want a line of dogs that had to have their ears taped. In my opinion , food and exercises are the most important parts effected the the puppies developement physically.

I feed all my GSD BARF from their weaning , some even from their first meal other tham their mom's milk . I think BARF is best balanced food for the carnivores. When the pupies were grown up enough to play biting or pulling each other , I would watch closely when they play and never let the ear-pulling game happen.  If possible I would seperate them when out of my eyes since the ears and tails are most easy to be pulled than any other parts of the body and sometimes the sharpness of the puppies' tiny fangs might cut right through the point that might also cause floppy ears.

I also play a lot with them using rubber toy with beeb sound which will alert the puppies' attention . You can see when the puppies heard the beeb sound , their ears will always come up ..... that I call ears- exercise .

And last thing here is... do not pat on top of the puppies' head until the ears are fully erected . Only pet them at the sides of the heads , under the ears set , never on top of the head.

I can see that Parsley droppy ear is fully overloaded with very bushy hair which is very beautiful to look at , but you have to work harder for his ear- exercise .

Picture of 2 months old pup focus at his toy.

Good Luck,

ตอบ: Re: ตอบ: Re: Ears?
โดย carnivore ...The Alpha Wolf - Wednesday, 9 August 2006, 03:33PM

The size and thickness of ear leather almost also depend on certain line - characteristic as for my experience of GSD breed. Most of long haired GSDs  have larger bone - structures , thicker ear leather and bigger ear size than the short or normal haired ones. 

Long haired puppy...

Re: ตอบ: Re: ตอบ: Re: Ears?
โดย Amanda Gibney - Wednesday, 9 August 2006, 08:00PM
  Thank you for your responses.  Parsely is in a pet home and neutered, they think his floppy ear is cute.  I would rather have had his ear come up just so I know if it's a problem in my line or not. 

My dogs get a combination diet, 75% high quality kibble (high meat percentage, no corn) and 25% raw.  I would love to to do 100% raw BARF diet, but with 20 dogs it's too expensive.

I will try the ear exercises with my next litter.  It sounds like a very good idea. 

Some lines of Siberians have problems with floppy ears too.  I've never had that problem with my Sibs.  Seems to be in lines that have very thick ear leather and a larger ear.  I seem to get small thick ears or larger thinner ears (I'm working on all small thick ears, far better ear for an Arctic breedยักคิ้ว.

Thanks again,
Amanda
ตอบ: Re: ตอบ: Re: ตอบ: Re: Ears?
โดย Pingpong \(-_-)/ - Tuesday, 22 August 2006, 04:51AM

Thank Pa Vi (Carnivore)  for her kind translation.

17:07 - 21/08/06 ป้าชัช ที่บ้านก็มีหมาหูตกอยู่ตัวนึง ตามประวัติไม่ได้หูตกดอก แต่ใบหูของจินนี่บวมต้องพาไปผ่าเอาหนองออก ดูแลแผลอยู่สัก 1 อาทิตย์ แผลหายแล้วหูก็ยังตกข้างนึงมาตลอด ก็น่ารักไปอีกแบบ อิอิอิ จึงเป็นข้อยืนยันคำกล่าวของป้าวิว่า หมาหูตกมาจากหลายสาเหตุจ๊ะ

15:28 - 21/08/06 สมเกียรติ emoticon ของผมกัดกันเป็นรูเลย และตามท้องอีก เป้นรอยถลอก

15:07 - 21/08/06 ป้าวิ ตอนยังเล็กๆดูไม่ออกเพราะหูยังตกอยู่ ตามธรรมชาติ มารู้ตอนโตเมื่อถึงเวลาแล้วไม่ยอมตั้งสักที แต่ก็แก้ไม่ได้แล้ว ทั้งสาเหตุทางพันธุกรรมและ อุบัติเหตุ แก้ไขไม่ได้ แต่ป้องกันได้ โดยหมาที่หูไม่ตั้งเองตามธรรมชาติก็อย่าไปขืนดามให้มันตั้ง จะไม่รู้ว่ามันมีลักษณะ หูตก อยู่ในสาย ส่วนเรื่องลูกหมากัดหูกัน ก็เลี้ยงลูกหมาแยกกันเมื่อเห็นว่าเริ่มรู้จักเล่นแรงขึ้น

15:01 - 21/08/06 ป้าวิ หมาหูเล็ก ตั้งเร็วกว่าหูใหญ่ หูบาง ตั้งเร็วกว่าหูหนา ขนสั้น หูตั้งเร็วกว่า ขนยาว เป็นไปตามลักษณะทางกายภาพเป็นปกติ นอกนั้นเกิดจากพันธุกรรม และอุบัติเหตุ เช่นลูกหมาในครอก อาจเล่นกันแรงงับหูกันแล้วไปสะกิดโดนเล้นเอ็นหรือเนื้อเยื่อที่เป็นแกนตั้งของใบหูพอดี

12:54 - 21/08/06 ด็อตคอม emoticon ..เรื่องหูไม่ตั้ง มีข้อแนะนำดีๆของป้าวิอยู่ที่กระทู้ http://www.bangkaew.com/elearning/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1946 ลองไปฝึกหมาดูนะครับ อาจจะตั้งได้เร็วขึ้น ใครพออ่านภาษาปะกิตเข้าใจ ก็ช่วยไปแปลในกระทู้หน่อย จะได้เป็นความรู้ให้ทุกท่านได้อ่านกัน

12:48 - 21/08/06 สมเกียรติ ไม่น่าจะใช่น่ะครับ เพราะบางท่านตั้ง 4 เดือนแล้วหูยังตั้งข้างเดียวเลย เห็นบางท่านบอกว่า ถ้าน้องหมากระโหลกใหญ่ หูจะตั้งช้า

12:14 - 21/08/06 ครูแจ้น ถ้าลูกบางแก้วอายุ 2 เดือนแล้วหูไม่ตั้งแสดงว่าลูกหมามีลักษณะด้อยใช่ไหมคะ

12:11 - 21/08/06 สมเกียรติ emoticonแล้วแต่อายุน้องหมาน่ะ ของผม30วันหูก็ตั้งแล้ว

12:09 - 21/08/06 pak ผมมีลูกบางแก้ว 3 ตัวตัวผู้ 2 เมีย 1 อายุ 1เดือนแล้ว แต่หูยังไม่ตั้งเลยเป็นเพราะอะไรครับ

12:06 - 21/08/06 ครูแจ้น มีลูกหมาบางแก้ว 3 ตัวอายุ 1 เดือนอยากรู้ว่าเมื่อไหร่หูมันจะตั้งซะที(คลอด 20 ก.ค.49)

Click to enter http://www.bangkaew.com/elearning3

Bangkaew.net and Bangkaew.org are for sale
See details at https://sedo.com/search/?keyword=bangkaew